Monday, January 19, 2009

Peeve of the Day

Silent houses.
Please, pretty please. Just put on the itunes, or a cd, or the radio or
something. Sitting in a room with friends but without music is just so sad, no matter how good the wine or how stimulating the conversation or how crispy the little crackers. I can barely think about anything but our words coming out of our mouths and circling around our heads and ending up in little piles in dusty corners. Music fills out a space. It makes all the difference.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger tapa girl said...

Really? I had no idea. I, on the other hand, am of two minds. I like having something on in the first part of a gathering, usually cooking noises combined with the exhaust fan, the murmur of NPR, music, or Globe Trekker and after we've all settled into a topic of one sort or another, I like the noise to go away. Not abruptly, as that startles, but over time. And always, my ears go "ah--that's what was annoying me" as the buzzing subsides. But then, I'm thinking of good friends, when the buzzing is the inane conversations of forced socializing: Bring on the Peppy Tunes.

2:50 PM  
Blogger betsytacy said...

Well, when you were here, I never thought "this house is awfully silent; we need noise." But that was the tumble of it all: the music on and off, there was singing and silence and Phil Collins rocking on the big screen. When I first go over to a house, in the dark of night, the cool (never really cold) of winter, it's nice to be welcomed by warm lights and soft sounds. It's nice to talk about music sometimes, too, to make it the subject of our chit chat. If it starts off silent, I just always hear that silence itself, buzzing in my ears.

7:45 AM  
Blogger tapa girl said...

I can see that. It reminds me of the aggravation of going over to somebody's ultra-clean and spartan space--nothing interesting to look at, just a bunch of stale air on the offering.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home