Monday, September 29, 2008

Famous People I Have Known

Everybody knows that it’s important to be famous. Because if you aren’t, then who, other than your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and the UPS guy knows you? If you don’t get your name into the history books or tabloids, then what is the point? But if you aren’t famous yourself, it is a good idea to know people who are. And if you don’t know people who are, it is a good idea to have at least seen famous people or to have known people who have seen famous people. That way, you’ll have something to add to conversations.

Here are my contributions:
•I saw Princess Di when she visited Canada back in the 80s. I was in a moving vehicle, she was behind an adoring throng, and all I could see was the back of her head. Or the back of someone’s head, who may/may not have been Princess Di.
•I saw Bruce Willis on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. He was walking.
•I saw Huey Lewis next door. He was stroking his chin.
•I think I saw Kate Winslet incognito in a little coffee shop on the Thames. She was wearing white Nikes and I thought to myself, “Would KW really wear white Nikes?” But then I thought, “That is EXACTLY what she wants me to think. I am falling for her disguise, which also includes a tacky ring. Or maybe the ring isn’t part of the disguise and is just something she likes.” I gave it some thought. Then I realized I was reading a Thomas Hardy novel and KW was IN a Thomas Hardy movie so it had to be a cosmic sign.
•My great uncle came up with the slogan “Let Your Fingers Do the Walking.” He also got to ride in a Pasadena Parade with Andy Devine, know for being Friar Tuck in the cartoon version of Robin Hood.
•Agnes Moorehead talked to my Mom. She was not really a witch.
•An ex-boyfriend’s best friend’s great-grandfather designed the Land O Lakes maiden. The one with the knees that—voila! fold up to be her breasts. (It really does work.)
•I have seen famous people who are in bands, actually playing with their bands. Sometimes, I have seen these people before other people who, when they find out about these famous people later, think that they are special.

And that’s only the beginning.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Once when I was in New York I was passing the theater where they film Late Night with David Letterman. Just on the other side of the street, before a crowd had any chance to gather, a limosine pulled up and deposited Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and -- yes, steady people! -- Johnny Effing Cash.

Also, I believe I once spotted Gordon Merrick on the beach. He was wearing long pants, and I thought, "Would GM really wear long pants on the beach or is that a disguise?" And then I thought, "Oh, yeah. GM would SO wear long pants on the beach."

4:49 PM  
Blogger tapa girl said...

Well, if one must really be connected to fame in order to have value:
...I have never seen anyone famous (unless their disguise was impenetrable or I was not paying attention, my usual mode)
...I'm not related to anyone famous, unless you count the wife of my uncle who apparently is vaguely related to Jeff Foxworthy

WAIT! I HAVE seen Gordon Merrick on the beach--and betsytacy; they were frolicking. Gordon did not have on long pants, however, so perhaps jessica caught him on another day. My guess is that he has the same beach workout plan as
Matthew McConaughey, perhaps they're friends since they're famous.

8:07 AM  
Blogger betsytacy said...

I saw GM too...AND HE WASN'T WEARING HIS GLASSES. That can't be good for his eyes. But it maybe he was being sneaky?

5:28 PM  
Blogger tapa girl said...

I imagine that GM is always sneaky. Like Betsy, he is a true artist and therefore avoids the paparazzi.

Unless he needs attention.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who doesn't need a little attention now and then?

5:41 PM  
Blogger tapa girl said...

True--as evidenced by my guilty-pleasure Artslut T-shirt. :)

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home